Test Center Spotlight: The Jefferson-Lewis BOCES in Watertown, New York
TASC Test Assessing Secondary Completion™ test takers across the country are preparing for their high school equivalency (HSE) exam by utilizing the TASC test center closest to them for prep classes and study sessions.
Today we’re placing the test center spotlight on the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES as Georgia Dusckas, Supervisor to the Adult and Continuing Education, takes us inside the center’s process and experience with the TASC test:
- When did the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES start offering the TASC test?
The TASC test has been offered [at the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES] since its inception in January 2014. The Jefferson-Lewis BOCES is the only official TASC test site located in Jefferson and Lewis Counties.
- What successes have you seen as a result of offering the TASC test?
- Students have been able to enroll in post-secondary education. Local enrollments are with either the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES for trade & technical career education, e.g., Electrical Wiring or Practical Nursing or the local community college, e.g., Liberal Arts
- Students increase their ability [to acquire] a job and possibly a career. Local businesses that hire our students include Convergys and Timeless Frames.
- Students are able to model the importance of education to their children and grandchildren.
- How is the TASC test administered at the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES?
Currently, we are a paper-based site. We are on track for approval for computer-based testing in the 2016-2017 academic year.
Having a variety of test mediums affords each examinee an opportunity to take the test in a friendly and comfortable environment; thus, increasing his or her chance for success.
- How does the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES help test takers prepare for the TASC test?
The JL BOCES has an extensive literacy program to meet the needs of each student. The program begins with an orientation session. Each student’s level of proficiency in math and reading is determined. Based on the scores, an individual learning plan is developed.
In the classroom, each student has access to textbooks and/or computer-based resources. Periodic assessments are given to evaluate growth. Once the student has achieved a level of growth that will ensure success on the TASC test, the student is then recommended to the test. In each of the last two years, the JL BOCES Adult Education Literacy Program has achieved an 86% pass rate.
- What are you most passionate about at the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES?
The Adult Education Program is dedicated to the perspective that education is the pathway to economic and social mobility.
- Any additional comments, insights, or comments of inspiration you’d like to add as it pertains to aspiring HSE candidates with the TASC test?
Life is about choices. Education is one choice that cannot be taken from you. It is the foundation and fulcrum for your aspirations in life.
If you live in either Jefferson or Lewis Counties in the State of New York, and you’re ready to earn your high school equivalency, get in touch with the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES.